embroidery , fabric , fun , gifty , holiday/seasonal , IDP , patterns , staff projects Add comments
This past weekend I decided to make a cute Pumpkin Spice Table Topper as a holiday project. I spent a rainy weekend hand sewing while watching a British miniseries on my computer. Heaven! I haven’t done much embroidery in recent years, so it was a fun to brush up on my backstitch.
I chose to use one strand of DMC #5 pearl cotton so I wouldn’t have to separate strands of floss. Other supplies included an embroidery needle and thimble. I tried using a hoop but found it was easier to just hold the project in my hands.
I used 3902 Mirage Cream for the background with another layer underneath, as a liner, so knots and threads would not show through.
Instead of tracing the design, I used my inkjet printer, set on light ink, to print the design on paper-backed, self-adhesive, water-soluble Fabri-Solvy.
The finished size of the final block is 12” square. I cut two 13-1/2” squares, drew a 12-1/2” square with a disappearing marker, and basted the two layers within the marked 12-1/2” square.
Work in Progress
After finishing the embroidery, the piece was puckered. The Fabri-Solvy dissolved easily when the fabric was rinsed in water. I blocked the fabric on towel and let it dry overnight. The puckery look resolved when I turned the fabric over, laid it on a towel, and pressed it.
Finishing the Project
I have the strips for the borders ready to go. I plan to add the batik borders and back, and quilt it in the next few days. Please check back to see the finished table topper. It's sure to be beautiful!