Behind the Scenes , fabric , fun , gifty , patterns , Quilt With Us , Sewing Workspace , staff projects Add comments
I made a pillow as one of the Gifty Galore Projects, that I am very pleased with. That inspired me to make another similar, but different pillow. Read on and see how the madness evolved.
Here we go…I stole inspiration from Mari's August candle mat.
She's had me testing the patterns as she's written them and this one really stirred something in me. So I just jumped in feet first. I thought, I'll just use the scraps from the first pillow, then the two will look right together, not too matchy-matchy, but right – Right? I had used all sorts of scraps from our Quilter's Candy to make the first pillow, and loved the effect.
Off I went. I enlarged Mari's appliqué design slightly, (just cut outside the lines).
I added a bit of fusible fleece for a trapunto effect on the center circle.
Ironed and glued all that in place and moved on to the border…
This is where the madness begins. I had 23 fabrics and decided that if I cut eight 1-1/2" squares out of each I would have plenty (and I did).
Trying desperately to be RANDOM I placed all the squares in a box and gave myself one rule, no two squares of the same fabric together. Off I sewed, merrily joining little squares together. I started with pairs and soon became bored.
So I moved on to making those pairs into threes.
I did some pressing.
Then I started to dream about using strips instead of squares…faster to do. So I stopped sewing, went back to my scrap pile and cut 1-1/2" strips, sewed those together, then sub-cut borders for my pillow. Hmmmmmm, I'm still wasn't convinced.
So I tried a few different arrangements and combinations…indecision reigned supreme!
When I finally got the top together I appliquéd and quilted at the same time.
Added a line of quilting around the border and called it done – and done is good!
Now finally my pillow is complete.
I didn't forget the back.
And my pillows work together alright I think. Hmmm now if I just had one more…